Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Afterbirth

Told she would die of
this lump growing in
side her--
go karmic
go spirit
go angels singing
from the realms of glory
--
she buys a low
cut red shimmy shammy dress,
seduces the Jamaican lawn boy,
mails her husband's mistress
faked records;

Mr Jonas: herpes advanced stage!!
oh, so official.

She withdraws their savings in ten
dollar bills, spends weeks
hiding each bill separately
in the gardenias
the A/C duct
under the carpets
inside every bra, dress, shoe and book
she still owns.

The lump,
this lump, now
her baby
come full term,
implodes,
a whoooooosh
of after
birth taking her with it,
feet first, flying
away from this strict overplushed house
away from her faux-porcelain mouthed husband,
only
that wrinkled
hand-clenched
desparate red dress
marking her shrunken
sad space on the bed.

3 comments:

hwf said...

Oh, this is good. I do question the word, emplode. I can't find it in my handy-dandy dictionary and wonder how either implode or explode would change the read.

Helm.

Birdie said...

lovely, Pris. I can't find anything I would change. It's beautiful.

Pris said...

Thanks, both of you...and, as usual, emplode was a spelling error. I'll fix it right now. I do appreciate!