Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Sequined Glove (CTG)

Through the California legal system
rigamarole of metal detectors,
the aging man-child passes.
Pale makeup today,
a blank look, mutated surgically.

Ooh, baby, baby
Where did our love go?


A fan releases a white dove
for each acquittal, others throw
confetti, the verdict
a marriage contract
between star and fans--

I'll reach out my hand to you,
I'll have faith in all you do,
just call my name and I'll be there.


Neverland--
his Boy's Own private theme park
with Zipper ride, and rollercoaster
open all night long
where the seventh of nine
children slept with other children.

Let me fill your heart with joy and laughter.
Togetherness, that's all I'm after.


Twenty years ago--
the red leather jacket
with all the zippers, black-face boy
singing "Beat It"
reinventing the Sharks and Jets
for a new generation.

The kids flocked
to Waxie Maxie's
to plunk down their bucks.

Music made him free--

The memory of jack-up
trousers and white socks
and crotches grabbed.

Ooh, baby, baby
Where did our love go?
Ooh, don't you want me
Don't you want me no more
Ooh, baby--


The cable news guys have packed up
their video equipment and gone home,
leaves blow in front of the gates.

Waving slowly from the belltower
the armband, the sequined glove.

Christopher T. George

7 comments:

hwf said...

Hello Chris

Yeah, topical, very topical. I like how you've brought the music in, so that nothing seems real.

Just one thought. I'm thrown by the line break in the second last strophe. I expect a certain closure to the statement when you end the first line with up and am thrown off by the fact that I still have to deal with their equipment. Then again, I may just be turning into a grumpy old guy.

Helm.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Christopher T. George said...

Thanks for your comments, Helm. I will look at that line break.

I see someone commented then deleted their comments. Wonder if it was Michael?

Chris

AnnMarie Eldon said...

Hi CTG

it's SUCH a treat not having to be an editor around here eh??

Pris said...

Chris
I like this, too..esp the music in it. The image of the glove, etc closing the poem works for me. I can see it so clearly.

Christopher T. George said...

Thanks, AM & Pris. Yes, AM, able to kick our shoes off here, ha ha. Always nice to hear from you, Pris! I hope you are doing well.

Chris

Pris said...

Hi Chris
Thanks for asking. Not up to snuff yet, but I will be soon.