Saturday, June 04, 2005

June 4th

A woman and her two girls pass
my window carrying black flippers,
goggles and a yellow inner tube.

Wet footprints paint the tar
and the sun’s heat peels off their prints
soon as the next step’s taken.

A carpenter bee lands on the window,
drags its stinger across the screen,
a little hiss that toggles the pinholes.

I don’t have the heart to kill small things,
to hurt what can easily be conquered.

The bee pauses on the mother’s bob,
crawls across her daughters freckled back.

The pool must be chilly this early in June,
though children are immune to such things.

At that age I sledded until my stomach
was the color of watermelon pulp.

Sober for over a year, and today I’m dreaming
of what’s concealed in a sack, stashed in a bush.

I meant to buy diet ginger ale
but held onto the case for ten minutes—
plenty of time to turn around, to change my mind,

to kill something bigger than me.
The girls appear happy. I wonder if they are.

2 comments:

JC said...

i like this. the subtle suggestion that big things are really contained in every small decision.

you have this luminous quality in your work that i like.

regards

eden

Erin said...

I have always wondered whether I loved Jenni's work because I adored her, or if it was really as wonderful as I always think it is. You may have to wash her dishes, but you have the perk of watching over her shoulder to see if it's as easy as she makes it look.

Jenni~ I have tried my best to find something in this to change, and honestly can't find a thing. The imagery is wonderful, the voice is so confident and observant.

Nice write. ~Erin