Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Rebel with a Cause

Fast car. Fast car.
Liz in his thoughts,
the reek of his last
same-sexed lover still
on his sheets.

Fast car. How fast
can it go? Rev up
the motor. Let
out the throttle.
Full speed around
that next curve.

If he flies at the speed
of light, will he disappear
into the moon's belly,
he wonders?

He stubs out his last cig,
chugs down more Daniels.
The ghosts still
won't slip off
his shoulder blades.

He's two people,and even
this fast, loud
mouthed
little sports car
can't make the one
he hates go away.



Pris Campbell
for James Dean

5 comments:

Erin said...

I've never been overly interested in James Dean, so the "same sexed lover" bit was a revelation for me, but I really like the way you used placement with the word "mouthed" to give us both a visual and auditory image.

I can't say I'm fond of the "black cloud" image though - seems a bit over-used to me.

Pris said...

thanks for the feedback, erin..this was a spur of the moment one for me, so I'll rethink that line. You're right about it.

Pris

Erin said...

Maybe somehow use smoke (squealing tires) or carbon monoxide (exhaust) or the way you get that shimmer of heat that rises off the asphalt?

Pris said...

Hi Erin
He was so troubled, the image I wanted was him trying to escape whatever weight he carried on his shoulders, so I tried another image. See if this works any better. As far as history tells us and websites about James Dean, he was bisexual and acknowledged it. He was barely into his twenties when he died in that car wreck.

Erin said...

this is definitely better sans black cloud. I knew he died very young in a car wreck - and I'd even recognize the little car. I just didn't know he was bi! Learn something new every day eh? ;)