Thursday, August 11, 2005

That Old Gang of Mine

The aging hippie couple
at the end of my block
stack sofa, chairs, bookcases
and one table on their lawn;
set a bonfire. Their way
of making a statement
about ownership, they claim,
when the cops rush up.

They grow weed among their
flowering bottlebrush shrubs,
carry brownies packed with
their wares to the sad old lady
across the street.

She dances until midnight
in a red beaded dress, skirt swirling-
a redbird in flight. The neighborhood
dogs howl under her windowsill,
her four-legged choir of fresh lovers.
The other ones lie six feet under
in long ago graves, for now, forgotten.

4 comments:

Erin said...

I love this piece -
the couple in line one are depicted as odd-balls, and in a somewhat negative light, but redeem themselves for the readers with the night of happiness they give the old lady. I think this speaks volumes about society's closed-mindedness.

The image of the redbird in flight was very vivid, nicely done. Enjoyed this a lot.

~Erin

Pris said...

Thanks, Erin...and this is just the kind of thing a hippie at heart might still do:-)

Pris

Lyle Daggett said...

I liked this one too. The people in the poem remind me of any number of friends of mine (slightly aging hippie that I am). Sweetly evocative.

Pris said...

I just found these comments. Thanks, all of you. Lyle, I suppose at heart I'm still an aging hippie, too:-)