Wednesday, August 10, 2005

the red sledge hammer

so much depends on
a red sledge hammer

lying in the hard glass light
of high noon

at the edge of
the new bank site

on top of the stack of
white concrete blocks.


* * * *

(Previously published in The Subversive Agent, a print magazine that published briefly in the 1990's, edited by Paul Jentz. The magazine was originally founded by Thomas McGrath.)

Note: The above poem was originally written with uneven margins on both sides -- I write most of my poems that way -- not flush left as it shows above. I haven't figured out how to do uneven margins on both sides in HTML, which is one of the reasons I haven't posted many of my poems online.

I've gone ahead and posted this one because I surely don't want to "boycott" the blog because of a technical limitation. And I'll certainly post more poems in the future. (When I wrote the "Making of Eve" poem that I posted here earlier this summer, I intentionally used flush left margins, so I wouldn't have to deal with the HTML problem. But usually I find flush left margins too limiting, for poems.)

I'm not any kind of expert with HTML. If anyone knows a (more or less) uncomplicated way to do uneven both-side margins with HTML, feel free to let me know. Thanks!

3 comments:

RC said...

Try the Pre Tag .Just do a goggle search for it.The comments box will not accept it.

AnnMarie Eldon said...

Hi

give me an email and I'll walk you through a quick html session

on AEldon1@aol.com

Pris said...

Hi Lyle
Glad to see you're getting formatting help. I know where the preformat tag is on posting boards, but, like you, haven't been able to sort it out in a blog yet. I think rc's post tells how.

But to your poem. I'm glad you decided to post. I like this one very much. It draws me in and the way you use words..such impact there. Poems that stimulate me to be a better poet are ones I like to see here.

Pris