Thursday, August 11, 2005

Last Lectures

Last Lectures

The American death toll mounts,
CNN does not bother with Iraqis lost,
Not on any side, no side at all, just
Walking on a street, buying groceries.
It’s hard to maintain the level of outrage
Warranted, this unending tale
Of imperialism gone amok, money
And power no longer sufficient to explain
Schoolboys with firepower killing and
Killing. The world is sick of this and,
If it is not, I am. Columbine. Kabul.

The simple things to do, I do. I sign
The petitions, send small amounts to
A dozen groups, I would write to my
Congressman but that’s a joke, not only
Because he already agrees, but because
Taking such politics seriously cannot
Be serious. Democracy is thin as chicken
Soup: a good nonfat diet, cannot support life.

Besides, I need not go abroad to search
For imperialism. The richest society, super-
Power, cannot afford pensions, medical care,
Bridges in good repair, roads without holes,
Schools worth shit, street cleaning, public toilets –
The rich hide behind fences, the poor calm
Themselves with cheap white bread, grow large
And diabetic. No need to travel to find
Jails filled to bursting and the prison business
Booming. Crap movies. Crap food. Crap jobs.

The not so simple things to do: I say, let’s
Figure them out together. You in the front row.
I’m too old to lead this discussion. You, it’s
On you now. No more whining, no more bullshit.
I’ll help, but you have to lead the way.

2 comments:

Erin said...

great message, one I tend to agree with, just one question - do you intentionally add the capitals to each line? I find it to be distracting and can't help but wonder if it's just a bi-product of your word processing program having a mind of its own.

Crispus Litvak said...

Erin, the word processor does it. I could fix it. But then I thought, if I leave in the capitals maybe they won't call it a rant.

Take a look at "Poems of WW III" in http://www.Niederngasse.com
if you want to see more --

Chuck