Sunday, September 04, 2005

Goat's Song

Just behind my eyeballs
there is this enormous cave
and everything I’ve ever seen
is gathered together inside it.

One time I went down
into the cave to see what I could,
and there was this goat
playing Mozart on a flaming piano.

My mother stood nearby,
tapping her foot to the rhythm
and adjusting the bird’s nest
that she wore on top of her head.

The birds were singing off key.
The cave was dark except for the light
given off by the flaming piano.
The entrances had been covered.

Soon I realized I was trapped,
and I began to look for my father
who, though gone for years,
I thought might know another way out.

When I found him, deep in the cave,
he was nailed to this big cross.
I pleaded with him, Save me! Save me!
but he just looked down at me coolly and said

You should hear that goat sing.

3 comments:

Pris said...

Oh yeah!! Top dollar.

Birdie said...

excellent, enjoyed this a LOT!

Lyle Daggett said...

I really like this.