Friday, September 16, 2005

$400 Red Cross Benefit "Fantasy Challenge Poetry Contest" Winners

It was a hard choice with so many wonderful poems, but in the end, the good ones float. Here they are:

(runner-up)"I Take My Lover As My Lover Again" by Alison Stine, An Awfully Serious Girl

FINALIST"Henry Inside the Chapel of Love" by Reyes Cardenas, a Chicano Poet Alivianate El Coco
~ $50 donated to the Red Cross for Hurricane Flood Relief by Diego Quiros

THIRD PLACE"4th & Columbia" by Birdie Jaworski who writes Bird Poems
~ $50 donated to the Red Cross for Hurricane Flood Relief by, uh, Birdie Jaworski

SECOND PLACE"Where Micky Meets Jacky" by AnnMarie Eldon who just is,
~ $50 donated to the Red Cross for Hurricane Flood Relief by Jenni & Jack Russell

FIRST PLACE WINNING POEM"Suspension" by Ginger Rivers who also is
~ $225 donated to the Red Cross for Hurricane Flood Relief by Didi Menéndez, Pris Campbell, Michael Parker, Chuck Lev and James Fowler

and, I'll kick in another $25, as I promised I would if Anthony Robinson submitted a "good poem" for it, and he wrote a great poem yesterday (posted on my blog & his) which I read in light of the tragedy; so, point being: a good poem. I'll pay up, and round out the first place award. So, that's

$400.00 to be donated in the name of Café Café poets. Cool.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And, just to be "'Merican" about it, I'll challenge anyone challenging the judge to put your money where your votes are: at the tips of your typing fingers. Anyone, for example, want to kick in an additional $50 for Alison's incredible poem to reach full finalist status? Any others? Another first place award? Didi will be back soon to collect the cash.

Enjoy reading the poems. I did.

13 comments:

Birdie said...

Oh wow, wicked cool!!!!! Congrats to all the winners!

Pris said...

Great choices!! I'm assuming those of us who are donating money directly will simply send it in with the poet's name on the re part of the check? Or d, do you want checks sent to you for one lump sum, with names listed on your one check?

Pris said...

One more question. I clicked on the Red Cross link. If we want an acknowledgement to go to someone, we need to provide their address. Ginger, any problem with you giving your address to d and she can give it to those pitching in for first place?

Unknown said...

Prissy - It is not mandatory to enter an address. It will take without it. YOu can simply enter her name.

Birdie said...

I feel silly donating in my own name, so I am putting the Cafe' Cafe' community as the donator.

Lorna Dee Cervantes said...

Y'all ought to send poems to Rae's site, the Poets Helping Survivors site. Now that you all are official donators you can be considered for the anthology they'll be compiling from the entrees.

And, THANK YOU!

Lee Herrick said...

Nice choices by the judge....what cool poems these were! I enjoyed all of them, especially the first two. Bravo to all!

Lee Herrick said...

Does anyone have the link to Rae's Poets Helping Survivors information (that LCD mentions above)? I saw it a few days ago but can't find it now.

AnnMarie Eldon said...

I should awfully Bush Administration about it and simply pay whatever it costs to get me to the top place. But instead I'll be awfully British about it and donate anonymously to the Red Cross site. Derrhhh

AnnMarie Eldon said...

The Red Cross site wouldn't let me put in my county even though it let me put in United Kingdom and post code. So I now live somewhere called OK - can someone tell me in which State I now live?

Pris said...

Lee
I saw it and can't find it either.

Lorna
Whatever county it is, it sounds OK by me!

Lorna Dee Cervantes said...

Here's the link. Poets Who Support Survivors. The url is http://www.sirruspoe.com/poetswhosupportsurvivors.html

AnnMarie Eldon said...

Michael - if I can live in OK then I'm sure people can keep on donating one way or the other... the shock waves this has sent out worldwide - to see the richest nation on earth reduced its already hidden underclass to African refugee status - well now is not the place to discuss this - to hell with it - isn't this an impeachable thing - is that the process that gets over and above all the checks and balances? Maybe it's like trying to take the Queen to court - you know it's always Her Majesty vs So and So so technically she is the Crown - she is the Law sort of thing - if Bush says he's responsible then surely the manly thang to do is quit. Or would the entire US grind to a halt instead of simply the poor blacks if he quit? I see the 'business owners' are going back. I'm fuming mad.