Monday, October 02, 2006

Lorna Dee Cervantes Manuscript Net-Auction For Alfred Arteaga Heart Fund

For the next 3 days I'll be accepting bids, starting at $25 for a signed rare copy of a brand new manuscript of poetry, a new and collected volume of love poems entitled "Una poca de gracia/ Bit of Grace" in first draft form -- with all of the proceeds going to Alfred Arteaga's heart treatment fund. Many of these poems are previously unpublished. Some of these are old favorites in a new setting. This is a rare manuscript in that it will, undoubtedly, be different by the time it's published. For example, I have a copy of the first draft of one of my teacher's books which is way different from the final published book in a way that's really interesting. I'm glad I have it. It's one of a few copies.

Anyway, I thought that maybe some people might like to have this collection (it would make a nice holiday gift) and give the gift of life, specifically life-saving new stem-cell heart treatments to Alfred Arteaga, an incredible poet, educator, critical theorist and all around great guy. I know many people would like to attend the benefit reading for Alfred at the Cell Space in San Francisco this thursday, Oct. 5th at 7:30 pm with Alfred, Francisco Alarcón, Cherríe Moraga, Naomi Quiñonez, Jean Vengua, Margo Ponce, and me, Lorna Dee, where I'll be auctioning off a few copies of the manuscript. And maybe others have wanted to donate but can't afford to donate that much. Well, buy a book for you and your significant other and help out a good poet and a good friend to good poetry. [Scroll down for more information about Alfred and the benefit, one of a series of benefits held under the title "Cantos ded Corazon/ Songs of the Heart", or click here..]

Just drop me a line at PoetDee at mac (you know what) com and let me know you're interested. You can use my Amazon secure pay system button at the bottom of the blog or just send direct to Alfred Arteaga with an email sent to me with the particulars and a mailing address for the manuscript. I'll be accepting bids until thursday, and maybe beyond that date.

Here's a poem from the manuscript:


Summer Day

Whoever has no house now, will never have one.
Whoever is alone will stay alone."

-- R. M. Rilke


The huge press of shadows
goes free, wind in the heavy
wine, a restless command
of fulfillment. I read, wander
up and down the sweetness of your
house: dry leaves blowing, a long
letter I will never have.



Lorna Dee Cervantes

1 comment:

JC said...

"Summer" is a very cool poem, lorna! love it.