Monday, October 10, 2005

Pablito's Daughter (part two)

At funerals I am introduced
as Pablito’s daughter.

My father died a few days
before he would have turned 41.
I have already surpassed his age.

No one ever introduces me as
Dulce Maria.
Ever.

You’d think there are plenty of
Pablitos in Miami and they may
confuse me for someone else's
daughter.

Yet there is no need to say
my last name.

I am introduced as Pablito’s daughter.

I never correct the introducer.

I simply smile and look into the eyes
of the person being introduced
and all of a sudden they recollect
their youth, Cuba before Castro
and my father
Pablito.

5 comments:

Sheila Murphy said...

This is very warming, and I like it. There's an anchoring feeling about the words "Pablito's Daughter." Beautiful.

hwf said...

This poem says volumes, so very good.

Helm.

Pris said...

d
the close to this poem really makes it! leaves me with a image that stays with me.
p

666poetry-finchnot said...

i love this poem didi


thanx again / for all you do



~jx

John Korn said...

excellent.